Saturday, March 29, 2014

Week 6 - Collaborating and Technology is totally AWESOME!!

Collaboration .... what a perfect way to wrap up six weeks of creative bliss.  The Songwriting Association of Canada (S.A.C.) - Six Songs in Six Weeks Song Writing and Blogging Challenge has come to an end with the writing and posting of our week 6 song.

Canadian Songwriter, Christopher Ward explained our final challenge this week and asked us to schedule our time and write a song with a fellow participant.  Lily Cheng is S.A.C 's Editor-in-Chief of Songwriters Magazine.  Lily gave us the heads up about the collaboration challenge at the beginning of week 5 and I certainly appreciated the extra time she gave us in teaming up with a writing partner.

I was excited about collaborating ... whoot whoa!  Excited about partnering with one of these creative masters!   I held the intention of letting the process flow.  My dear friend, Jody Lee Bigelow who has been supporting me with all of my weekly song challenge recordings, shared this very important message with me ...  "the universe has a way of working things out".  Wow!  Does it ever!  Thanks Jody!!

The universe connected me with the brilliantly gifted, Canadian Singer-Songwriter Kelly McQuillan. Right from the start, Kelly and I were synchronistic in our collaborating.  The entire song writing process was so much fun!  I am so happy to share details about our collaboration experience. 

Kelly resides in British Columbia .... and my home base is in Northern Ontario.  This could be a Canadian geographical challenge right?  How does a song get written when both writers live at opposite ends of the country.  Oh ...  this is where the magic happened! The wonder and power of technology! Social media built and linked our networks and the computer programs connected us!  Technology is truly AMAZING!!  Together, Kelly and I brainstormed and pooled our resources.  We sent emails back and forth and after just one song-writing session, Kelly and I had our song titled, melody framed and laid out.  It was great to bounce lyrical ideas around with such an experienced song writer.  The song writing process flowed easily and our skills complimented each other.  Kelly used her savvy computer skills and shared typed written lyrics with me as we were creating them.  She emailed me the outline of our song and I printed it out. We simultaneously worked from the same page as we were creating.  Even though Kelly was at one end of the country with a three hour time difference, this process totally worked for us.  Kelly scratched out a track for us to work from and then we shared one more song writing session to finalize the details before we recorded the song.  This was the COOLEST part ... Kelly and Jody have the same recording system.   Kelly recorded her parts and then sent the tracks to Jody.  Jody then shared them with me and we recorded the rest together.  And voila!   Borrowed Time was born.  Technology magic!
.

I posted the lyrics below for our song titled Borrowed Time.  You can have a listen to Kelly and I singing our tune via sound cloud.  https://soundcloud.com/robyndewar/borrowed-time-written-by-kelly 

Kelly also blogged about our song writing experience on her website ...  read all about it on Kelly's HAPPENINGS link here:   http://www.kellymcquillan.com/happenings.html


 

Thank you Kelly for a gem of an experience.  We sure teamed up well together!  Sharing my love for horses here in this picture.  What a team!!  Whoot whoa!  "A Honest Day's Work!" by artist Adeline Halvorson 




I am so grateful for the opportunity to participate in the Six Songs in Six Weeks - Song writing Challenge.  Thank you Christopher Ward and Lily Cheng for sharing your time and talents with all of us!  I have been inspired, motivated and celebrate this productive experience.  I have appreciated all the networking opportunities provided to us as members of the Songwriters Association of Canada.  Cheers!! Well done everyone!  Keep on writing and sharing!!

So in love with TODAY!

much love, Robyn


Borrowed Time   
Written by Kelly McQuillan and Robyn Dewar

Hey mister, can you spare me some time?
Just need an hour or two

My cup’s overflowing and my pockets are bare

 Won’t you help me get through


 Trivial decisions and constant revisions
 Stealing my time away

 So many places to go, and information to know

 What flavour do I want my latte?

CHORUS

Tick tock tick tock borrowed time
 I wish that I could hit rewind

Stop living off this borrowed time
Borrowed time


There aren’t enough hours in my day
To meet all the demand

Pay, pay, pay the time man cries
As he throws out his hands

CHORUS

BRIDGE

My father always warned me
Not to squander it away

 Sow your seconds wisely
And time will be repaid

 
CHORUS
Give me a second
Could you give me a few

Give me a moment
How ‘bout two

Borrowed time

Borrowed time

No comments:

Post a Comment