Friday, March 7, 2014

Week 3 Songwriting Challenge - Colouring Outside of the Lines

It's March 2014!   Whooot whoa!   Happy dance!



Celebrating Week 3 of our  Songwriters Association of Canada  Song writing and Blogging  Challenge.  I've been really been enjoying listening to our groups weekly song shares. 

 Our Week 3 assignment was revealed to our group by Christopher Ward and he asked us to think about song writing as if we were "colouring outside of the lines".  Christopher asked us to:

1 a) Identify our song writing ruts and why are our current song structures / forms are comfortable.

2. Write a song that breaks the rules.

3. Have fun writing outside the box.

Song writing ruts... what is a rut?  A rut is "a habit or pattern of behavior that has become dull and unproductive but is hard to change." Canadian Oxford Dictionary 

I believe that what others might call a "song writing rut", I like to think of it as a situation involving "stale water". Song writing for me is all about creating and planting seeds.  As long I am in the mindset to create,  I am writing with "living water".   When the water is stale, the song seeds are no longer receiving the nourishment or "encouragement" that they need for sprouting.  It is really important to tend to my song writing garden.  Participating in this six week challenge is a good example of  how I am giving my song writing a healthy, happy dose of living water.  I am very grateful.  Keeping my song seeds nourished will encourage song blooms. Thank you Stacey Hall for teaching me all about seeding, sprouting and blooming.  The SSB concept is wonderful way of expression in all aspects of my life and I apply this concept daily.


My song writing style has been influence by the folk / grassroots / country genres.  These song writing patterns tend to include a verse / chorus/ verse / chorus / verse.  When I wrote Home Grown  I added a bridge after the chorus and it shifted the mood of the song.  The words in the bridge painted the picture of the most beautiful place in the world to me.  The songs I have shared during this six challenge have been written in styles out of my comfort zone.  Styles that have been "out of the box" for me.  I like that I am seeding new ways of writing songs.  For Week 1, I shared my song called Lover Lover   This song was written with a two word chorus.  During Week 2, I shared my song called  Melting Away which style totally changed things up for me.  The song does not have a chorus.  Song writing is an art form of expression.  I love the fact that this S.A.C. Challenge offers the opportunity for growth and development.

The third piece of our Week 3 assignment ... Ah yes!  Have fun!  My black and white, fluffy kitty cat must be feeling a bit of  "spring fever".  He is going crazy these days.  lol He has literally been climbing  the walls. He meows and meows.  He jumps up on the piano keys when I'm playing.  He sits on my lyrics and won't leave my side.  They say that when a cat enters your space ... they are reminding you to have fun, live a little and enjoy TODAY!  Thank you Indigo for the daily reminder. Indigo is pictured here ... siting on my Week 3 lyrics.  How much fun is that!  lol



For my Week 3 "out of the box" piece I chose to write a ballad.  It is called "The Memory of Light".  It begins with a dialogue .  This song reminds me that when I am looking for answers ... I only need to listen to my heart and go searching within.  I carry the memory of my own light with me.  I recorded the song using my keyboard and with the support of my very talented, dear friend, Jody Lee Bigelow.  Thank you Jody for sharing your incredible gift.   Jody's voice really compliments the song and I am so thrilled he was able to add his vocal elements.  Many, many thanks! 
Here is pic of Jody and I have a hoot recording "The Memory of the Light".  It is not Ellen's Oscar "selfie" but I like it!  Lovin' my $5 reading glasses too ;) lol



I have posted "The Memory of the Light" lyrics below. 
Click here to listen to the recording via sound cloud https://soundcloud.com/robyndewar/with-jody-lee-bigelow   Enjoy!  Happy March!!!!

So in love with Today!

much love, Robyn

The Memory of the Light by Robyn Dewar

 

Dad, I’m scared.  I don’t know what to do.  How will I ever choose?

Do I follow him, he can lead the way.  He can take me to where I need to go.

I’m so afraid, I can’t see in the dark.  How will I ever choose, how will I know?

 
Darling girl – do you know how much I care?  Do you know I will always be there?

Where ever you go, whatever you choose, it will be the right choice for you.

You’ll find your answer, listen to your heart, live your dreams, and never fear the dark

 

If I starred at the sunset long enough, until all the colours disappeared

They’d sink behind the ocean’s wall and fade away                                                                

I’d begin to question why I’m here, 

There would there be nothing left but darkness and fear                                                     

And the shades of gray in the stillness of the night

 

The memory of light guides my way, a knowingness of who I am today

The memory of the light is the colour to my soul, it lifts my spirit

Through this darkness  I know … in the memory of the light ... in the memory of the light

 


No comments:

Post a Comment