Sunday, February 23, 2014

Week one - has been an AMAZING week of staying focused

Happy Sunday!

I am enjoying my steaming cup of coffee this morning.  I look outside and another blanket of snow has graced our "Winter wonderland" landscape here in Haileybury, Ontario.  The plow went by ... but that's okay ... spring is around the corner and trees will be budding life soon.  I lived in a cozy, northern community growing up.  My Mom would often share with me how she felt about our long, cold winters in northern Ontario.  Mom always got so excited when she saw her first robin bird in the spring.  Even though the winters felt long for my Mom, I loved playing outside as a kid.   Writing this blog has got me thinking about things I hadn't thought of in years.  I loved building ice forts with my sisters and brother.  I played outside until my cheeks were so frosty red.  Physical proof that I enjoyed our true Canadian winter for sure! 

Thank you Christopher Ward and Lily Cheng for your  warm welcome to the S.A.C. Songwriting & Blogging Challenge, your words of encouragement and "song start" coaching have supported me with this challenge.  I've been focusing on our Week 1 Song Challenge every day.  I've been thinking about the songs which have inspired me and what methods I use for song writing .  I typically like to write in "the moment". 

This Songwriting Challenge has taking me out of my comfort zone and lifted me from "my song writing box".  Right now, I am doing it my and any way I can.  That is the Chi-To-Be  Energy Surge #2.  Love that!!

Christopher shares that the most effective ways to focus when writing songs is choosing a title, a theme and an opening line.  Christopher explained that the title of a song tell us about what is to follow in the song.  I've chosen the following five songs that inspire me.

Song 1 - 'The Snakes Crawl At Night' (Mel Tillis)
Song 2  - 'Seasons In The Sun' (Terry Jacks written with permission by Jacques Brel with   an  English translation by Rod McKeuen),
Song 3 - 'Unchained Melody' (Alex North and Hy Zaret)
Song 4 - 'Over the Rainbow'  (Harold Arlen and E.Y. Harburg)
Song 5 - 'Lover of Mine' (Alannah Myles)

Christopher Ward also explained that "an opening line can give you the mood, set the story in motion or make a listener curious about what's next".  I've chosen a couple of opening liners that make me smile.
Opening line ... "Almost heaven, West Virginia... " 'Country Roads' (John Denver)
Opening line  "Sunday morning up with the lark"  'Beautiful Sunday'Daniel Boone and Rod McQueen)

To keep on us track, we were asked to come up with a list of 5 titles, 5 themes and 5 opening lines of our own.  Choose one and write a song with it.  Here is my list.

Title 1: The Train
Title 2: Memory of the Light
Title 3: Shannen's Dream
Title 4: Solid Ground
Title 5: Hudson

Theme 1: We are not victims in the north, we are masters of our own destiny
Theme 2: Purpose filled dreaming
Theme 3: Discovering who I am
Theme 4: What a super star feels when everyone is trying to pick off a piece of them
Theme 5: Grateful for the gifts and blessings in my life

Opening line 1: "I go out walkn' on a cold winter's day"
Opening line 2: "Clearing through the clutter, digging through the past"
Opening line 3: "I've got a problem"
Opening line 4: "Lover Lover, love, love a lover"
Opening line:5: "I know you won't appreciate, what I'm about to say"

Peering through this list,  I chose to focus on the opening line "Lover Lover, love, love and lover"
The song I came up with is called 'Lover, Lover'. Here are the lyrics and my Robyn Dewar soundcloud  link.


LOVER LOVER by Robyn Dewar

Lover lover, love love a lover
Lover lover, love love a lover
Lover lover, love love a lover Lover of mine (REPEAT)


Verse 1:
Will you be true to my heart
Whenever your fears set you apart
From the depths of my soul do you know
That you are mine until the end of time

Chorus:
Lover lover, love love a lover
Lover lover, love love a lover
Lover lover, love love a lover Lover of mine  (REPEAT)

Verse 2:

Who’s that girl calling out your name
When she whispers close it drives me insane
My hearts in pain, it’s blood stained
And every time she walks near
I pray that to God she'd disappear
Can you taste my tears  Chorus:


Ohhhh.... its a cold dark night will you hold me tight
Never leave me go 
Do you know
That you are mine until the end time  Chorus:


SPECIAL THANK YOU!!!

Thank you so much to my dear friend, Jody Bigelow, owner of Creative Data Solutions

When I was ready to record my Week 1 Song, I couldn't find my Zoom R8 recorder.  I began to panic so I messaged Jody at three p.m. Saturday afternoon and put in a big help request!  I was singing at a 4H Country fundraiser Saturday night at the Classic Theatre in Cobalt, so Jody was able to bring his equipment to the location and we ended up recording the song at the Theatre after the show.  It was late and my sister Tina and hubby Shawn were there also.   A couple of photos were taken ... so I am sharing those today in my blog as well.  What an incredible love-filled week! I am surrounded by such loving, supportive friends and family.  I am living my dream!! Wow! I am so grateful for my friend Jody and his kindness.   Hope you enjoy my Week 1 tune!  Week 2 Challenge is revealed to us tomorrow. 

So in love with today!  much love, Robyn































































No comments:

Post a Comment