Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Robyn Dewar - In Love With Today!

Late Bloomer

Today I am celebrating the gratitude I feel for two of my favourite music teachers; Sister Annette and Ms. C.  My motivation in creating this blog is to share my music and song writing experiences. 

Musically, as a young girl, I had the privilege of taking formal piano lessons.  After a few months of lessons, my piano teacher explained to my Mom that I was "wasting her money".  I wasn't reading the music and I was not practicing.  When my teacher played a piano piece, I would memorize it and pretend that I was reading the music.  Ah haa!  So no more formal piano lessons for me.  When I was in grade five,  I experienced the delight in receiving  acoustic guitar lessons from an amazing lady, Sister Annette.  I was very enthusiastic and participated weekly in the hour long "group" lessons.  We played songs I had never heard of before ... my first introduction to folk music and traditional  country songs.  Although I could never seem to wrap my fingers around chords like B7 and F, lessons with Sister Annette gave me a love-filled start to a "late blooming" music career. 

I took music classes all through out high school and played the "little" brass tuba from grade nine to grade 13. Yup! Bass clef!  lol  Some how I made it through those classes even though I did not read a note.  I learnt which value number to press by recognizing the position of the notes in each bar.  Being able to read music didn't happen for me until the summer when I found employment as a "nanny" for a cousin of mine.  They lived in the country and had an upright piano.  I entertained myself by spending a socially lonely summer teaching myself how to read music.  All of a sudden, the world of music and creativity opened up for me.  I received my first guitar and wrote my first song at the age 17.  It was a lonely heart ballad that I would play on the piano.  I discovered that music was my language.  This all happened for me exactly in the timing I needed it to happen in.  A late bloomer and I'm ok with that.

I have been blessed to have been surrounded by amazing "music" teachers.  My high school music teacher demonstrated a plethora of patience with me.  Ms. C is incredibly talented.  She introduced me to classical music.  I will never forget attending my first opera at the Stratford Theatre.  http://www.stratfordfestival.ca/  "Carman" revealed my passion for music.  Wow!  I have such a deep respect for musicians who are dedicated to perfecting their gift.

Stay tuned for the next six weeks as I will be blogging about a Song Writing Challenge I have signed up for.  Creating six songs in six weeks.  Enjoy!!

I am in love with today!

much love, Robyn




No comments:

Post a Comment